Mt Liebig on show in Western Australia
16 March 2016
After being named Territory Tidy Town at last year’s NT awards ceremony, a contingent of MacDonnell Regional Council staff from Mt Liebig is set to travel to Toodyay in Western Australia to represent the Northern Territory in the Keep Australia Beautiful Tidy Town Awards.
The small community of Mt Liebig at the western end of the MacDonnell Ranges is a national finalist in the annual Tidy Towns awards. During the last year Mt Liebig has established and achieved significant projects through 100% community participation:
- Established family park with shaded barbeque area
- Begun upcycling projects that have doubled the play equipment in the family park and brought colour and happiness throughout the community
- Instigated regular emu-bob walks with children and families picking up litter
- Successfully trialled new solar street lighting to be rolled out across the community
- Awaits installation of a solar farm that will replace half of its diesel generated power
- Begun fostering seedlings and planting local native saplings to be followed by the planting of 300 new trees and shrubs through a NT Government supported revegetation program
- Maintain strong traditional cultural practises alongside contemporary values and services
- Supports its young people to have a voice in community decision making
The entire Mt Liebig community embraces the responsibility to keep their community clean and its 100% community participation alone is worthy of recognition in the Community Action and Wellbeing category of the awards. Its individual projects are also under consideration for the Litter Prevention and Resource Recovery, Environmental Sustainability, Heritage and Culture, Young Legends and Environment Education categories.
MacDonnell Regional Council and its stakeholders are hoping for more national recognition for another of its awarded communities – while the residents of Mt Liebig would like to become known as Australia’s tidiest town!
As is the tradition of the national Tidy Towns competition, the reigning winners, Toodyay in Western Australia, will showcase their town as they host the current year’s state and territory finalists and present the gala awards night.
Category winners and the 2016 National Tidy Town will be announced at a gourmet dinner in Toodyay on Friday evening 18 March.